Momentum of Opportunity

My life was completely turned upside down at the end of this spring. I went from having a secure position in a community, building myself up in a career path that I love, and creating a sense of home.  I was a 1st grade teacher, for goodness' sake, how can it get better than that? In being cut from school I had some changes heading my way. Initially I was at a loss of words, I was in mourning that I will never get to see my babies again, confused as to where I would end up and what I would be doing, wondering where my skill set could be used properly, how I would fit into a new niche, and so on. When you are so invested in a place and feel the feels and the passion that I did there, it is hard to think of yourself anywhere else. So I struggled with that for awhile.

BUT, then I looked up. I stopped pouting and having a pity party for myself. Immediately after college I jump right into my career path, all the while, I had this urge to travel/explore the world building up inside me. So with this change I viewed it as a Universe Slap to the face. Why not take this time to explore? Why not see this as a positive? Why not take this in stride? Why not lift yourself up, because the opposition would mean wasting away in grief or jumping right back into the same-old-same-old. Yeah it is comfortable doing what you have always done, but complacency can mask itself quite well in those that are comfortable. So I decided that I was going to take on different opportunities. I was going to satisfy my need, my desire, for adventure. A thirst for NEW-ness.

"When one door closes, another one is being opened" this is a quote that is often used in one form or another. I know it is cheesy, but I cannot express how accurate this is. I promise you that if you open your eyes and are proactively hunting down opportunities and putting yourself out there, then something is going to stick. There is a certain Momentum to Opportunity. I believe that good things happen to good people, now I am not saying that these things will happen all the time, or that you won't be tested with a curve ball every now and then (or frequently). What I can tell you is that, the person that actively seeks out opportunities, makes themselves available, presents their best self to opportunity, will have the best chances. If you are working on yourself and bettering yourself every day, if you are trying your best to march up to opportunities door then your actions will start to snowball.

There are endless opportunities to be had in the world. An unlimited number of experiences to be had. Be the person that seeks out new work experience, volunteer experiences, takes on new ways of thinking, reaches out to different "types" of people, asks to shadow someone from a different career track, travels to foreign lands, puts themselves in those (safe) uncomfortable situations, BE THAT PERSON THAT IS WILLING TO GROW. Every day life hurls life opportunities at you and you will be a better person for having experienced them.

In my current life, I am trying to view as much as I can as a learning experience. Everything can be turned into an opportunity. I took being cut from teaching as a chance to relocate and absorb a different culture and community. This summer I moved out to Ann Arbor (Michigan) to live the Michigander life and reconnect with a good friend of mine out here. While out here I took time every week to take on different experiences and opportunities. I went to town festivals, breweries, window shopped, worked a different line of work, and so on. The opportunity of investing myself into the culture of Ann Arbor was there and I took it. I met new people, I asked questions, and I learned about the Michigander people. I also had (and will have) the opportunity to do some traveling out in Michigan. Making memories and seeing all the sights that I can in this foreign place will stay with me forever. In terms of work opportunities, I took on summer work in the form of working the grounds of the university of Michigan. While working here, I also set out on taking on new work experience for the upcoming fall. I reached out to countless companies and schools in New Mexico (my aunt&uncles live there and are willing to take me in) and was asked to take on a 1st grade teaching job. I also applied to a couple of companies/organizations back in MN and was accepted into a organization called APEX fun run where I will working with schools to raise money (fundraise) for them. In one summer I could have worked in two different states and had completely different experiences. I am telling you, opportunities are out there. I want to take on as much as I can in this life and I can feel the momentum of opportunity starting to take over. I am hoping and expecting some big things in life.

Taking on opportunity builds up your versatility. 

Just some food for thought. I have been thinking about the opportunities out there in the world a great deal, and who I will become in life. That was the motivation behind this blog. Be proactive in your life and take on NEW things in life. Utilize a growth mindset and you will be amazed at where life can take you. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crossfit Movement

Who do you want to be?

All the Wiser